Monday, September 24, 2012

More Goggles and Such

Super busy weekend, but I did manage to get one project finished last Friday. 
Can't post pics yet since it's a surprise.  Also making good progress on our TV room to give it a "vintage industrial" look.  I'm pretty sure vintage industrial is just decorator code for steampunk, but I totally get that it allows you to discuss the aesthetic without a 15min explanation of the genre.   

So on to some older goggles:

Here was a pair I built for me to go with my steampunk tinkers costume:


There is a small working light (total score from Harbor Freight) mounted to left ocular.  The brown derby is from Gentleman's Emporium.

Here's a pic of the costume this derby usually gets worn with:

Here's another pair that are for my wife's airship pilot costume:


She adores fleurs-de-lis.  The fleurs-de-lis on this pair were actually some silvery necklace ones from Wal-Mart.  I hand painted them bronze and added a threaded screw shaft to the back with some superglue so that they could be attached to the leather. 

I have recently changed office locations (to a new building at my work) and had a very Sheldon-esque moment last week. This Sheldon for Reference :)

So I was heating up my lunch when I noticed this sign by the microwave:
So looking to my left and right I realized
1) I was alone
2) I was using the microwave
3) I was not complying with the posted notice

This revelation was then followed by the thoughts listed below exactly in this order:
1) That signage is silly.
2) I think it should actually say DO NOT LEAVE MICROWAVE UNATTENDED WHILE IN USE.
3) On whose authority was such a notice posted?
4) Should I point out to the above authority that that the stated requirement on the sign is most likely incorrect?
5) What if it isn't incorrect and I really do need to bring a friend whenever I want to use the microwave?
6) This sign smacks of reactive instead of proactive requirements what was the inciting cause?
      6a) I'm betting popcorn. 
7) Wow I just went full-on-Sheldon there for a second.

I then snapped out of it and scurried off with my now heated lunch before anyone could accuse me of being a scoff-law.

more later...





4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you nuked your lunch ALONE!! You could have KILLED sombody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your microwave story. These people have a college education? MOM

    ReplyDelete